as

In my 7th year of engineering education, I started this blog. Many people asked me: Given so many years of engineering training and great career prospects, why design?

I love technology, but love even more the enriching effect of technology on people. I have seen so many talented people who devoted on fascinating products, but failed to let people appreciate how fascinating they are; and so many diligent researchers who worked out long-standing unsolved problems after years' work, but lost their audience/followers in tedious, unintuitive communication. I can't help noticing the so many imperfections in the life, while observing people, talking to people, and understanding people; I can't help brainstorming better ways to solve the problems, and discussing with people to see if they fit their needs. And that happens to be the duty of an UX designer.

This is a blog recording the ideas emerging from our everyday lives, including design critique, need finding, ideation and basic prototyping. Your questions and comments are warmly welcomed!

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Don't get lost in the web browser tabs


Crowded tabs  :(

I surf on the internet, browsing all the interesting stuff. And suddenly, I find my web browser tabs look like this..



We can hardly see the tabs and remember why we get there. Clicking on each one of them also gets harder.

Visible tabs  :)



For the same issue, Safari lists the tabs in a sliding window. The content on the tab is visible, and we can use the touchpad to slide through all the tabs.

See all tabs!



Activated by touchpad, we can see all the tabs as well as the hierarchical structure in this world-in-miniature feature. We can quickly have an idea of what we have opened so far, and jump to some pages very quickly. Brilliant!

Furthermore...

I would propose to visualize the origin of each open tabs, showing where each tab comes from. Since sometimes we don't care about the title of the page, but the reason that makes us get there. For example, the blogger.com came from the Google search results, and we may want to see what else we got from the same search results.

No comments:

Post a Comment