as

In my 7th year of engineering education, I started this blog. Many people asked me: Given so many years of engineering training and great career prospects, why design?

I love technology, but love even more the enriching effect of technology on people. I have seen so many talented people who devoted on fascinating products, but failed to let people appreciate how fascinating they are; and so many diligent researchers who worked out long-standing unsolved problems after years' work, but lost their audience/followers in tedious, unintuitive communication. I can't help noticing the so many imperfections in the life, while observing people, talking to people, and understanding people; I can't help brainstorming better ways to solve the problems, and discussing with people to see if they fit their needs. And that happens to be the duty of an UX designer.

This is a blog recording the ideas emerging from our everyday lives, including design critique, need finding, ideation and basic prototyping. Your questions and comments are warmly welcomed!

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Storage Alert! What should I do!


If you are using a macbook pro with 128GB storage, you might be familiar with this:



This is an alert from Mac OS about the disk storage. I click "OK", and then what? It doesn’t direct me to the right places to free spaces.

Moreover, even when I go to a directory and want to free some space, the interface of the directory (as shown below) doesn’t show the folder size! I have to right click the folder, click “show info”, then it tells me how large it is. It takes a lot of working memory to solve the storage issue.




[Redesign] Storage Alert

- Instead of letting user just click "OK", it directs users to the place ('Finder') to free some space. And the files in 'Finder' should have visible 'size' property, and be sorted by size.
- It provides a drop-down menu listing the files that have not been used for a long time, sorted by the size, based on the assumption that user may want to delete some old files or large files to free space. User can click on the file to see the details and decide to keep it or not.


1 comment:

  1. to show the folder size in the interface of the directory may cause problems. Although I don't know its mechanism, but I've observed such phenomena(in Windows): When you right-click a folder, click "properties" to see the size, the figure of folder size grows gradually to the real size, not providing the final result at the first time.(especially to folder that contains lots of files)
    May be it takes a long time to figure out the size of a folder, so if the size is provided in the interface of the directory, it becomes very slow when you open a directory with many folders.

    ReplyDelete